For this week’s link up with Katie for Marvelous in My Monday, I decided to highlight some of the little bits of joy that have come up in my life lately. As some of you know, a few weeks ago my husband told me that he wanted to get a divorce. It’s been a rough few weeks, but I’m certainly working on shifting my focus on to more positive thinking and looking forward to the future.
So that being said, I am going to share some of the positive, happy moments I’ve had lately.
1) My cat…especially when he plops down right next to the top of the stairs when I get home, waiting for me to rub his belly. I literally LOVE that he does this. For the longest time he hated whenever I rubbed his belly (as in he would grab my arm and attempt to gnaw it off) But something changed drastically for him, because now he willingly subjects himself to a belly rub everytime I come home (and sometimes in the mornings when I wake up, too!) I can be in the grouchiest or crabbiest of moods when I walk in that door, but the minute I see him waiting for me at the top of the stairs and then proceed to collapse onto his side, looking up at me with those big puppy-dog (I mean, uh, kitty-cat eyes) waiting for me to rub his belly, I can’t help but feel happy and find myself smiling.
This is him when on a day when he’s half-heartedly waiting for a belly rub. He usually rolls around on his back from side to side, stretching out as long and fully as he can, and looking right up at me waiting for me to succumb to his cuteness. He knows I can’t resist!
2) My amazing parents. I am all too aware of the sad reality than many parents are not good parents to their children. I consider myself extremely blessed and fortunate to have the best parents in the world. They have never failed me. At times when I was younger I found myself withholding information and things about my feelings, thoughts, etc. in fears that I would disappoint them or somehow upset them. Throughout the years, our communication has vastly improved and I now feel that I can tell them absolutely anything and know that they will never stop loving me. When things had initially started off being rocky between Scott and myself, I was very afraid to tell them. Marriage is a very sacred thing in my family and the upholding of marriage vows is not something that we take lightly. As such, I felt like I would be a failure to them if I admitted that there were problems in our marriage. Eventually, I realized I couldn’t hold that information back from and had to tell them, regardless of my fears or worries. I was so surprised how they handled it and continued to show their never-ending support and love for me. They have been truly amazing and my two biggest supporters through everything, especially now that the divorce is moving forward.
3) Watching NYPD Blue with my parents. I used to watch this show with them years ago when I was younger and it was televised. (Maybe not the best show for a youth to watch, it was pretty racy and they pushed lots of limits as far as what was on prime-time television at the time) But regardless, it was a show I used to love watching with my parents in the past and they ended up getting about 6 seasons on DVD (the show was on for 12 seasons if that gives you any indicator as to how good the show really was!) since that’s all that are on DVD..so we started watching them together again. I’ve been spending time with them a lot more lately, even if it’s just an hour in the evening to watch an episode with them. I absolutely love the show and absolutely love spending that time with them, like we did in the past.
4) Fall days. Especially when they’re nice fall days. I have been trying to get outside as much as I can because I love love love hiking and being outside in the fall. Hiking and taking walks in the fall is one of my favorite things to do. The temperature is perfect. I throw on a sweatshirt and start off on the walk feeling a bit chilly. Usually by the end, I’m ready to ditch the sweatshirt. It’s my favorite weather for walking. Saturday was perfect. It started off sunny and with clear skies when they were predicting it to be cloudy all day long. I had a car appointment in the morning but tried to make the most of the sunshine as possible…so I went for a walk right away when I got home. The clouds quickly crept in, but I actually didn’t mind too much. There is something that I still love about cloudy fall days while walking. Maybe I’m crazy?! 😛
You can see a huge difference from the beginning of the hike to the end of the hike. I literally only took about a 45-50 minute walk and there was absolutely no blue sky about half way into my walk. But it was still a perfect hike.
5) A day for me. Saturday was just what I needed. Friday night I ended up binging (which is something I have been surprisingly keeping pretty under control given the mess in my world lately) but instead of beating myself up for the slip-up, I chose to focus on how many nights I’ve been able to resist doing so. I also didn’t let myself sit around and mope the next day either. (Usually that’s what happens the next day) So after my car appointment, I decided I was going to take the day for myself. I took a nice hike, came home, and got myself all snazzed up (no sweats for this girl, which is my usual Saturday go-to outfit!) and went on my way. I decided I was going to take myself down to the lakefront and go to a coffee shop that I went to years ago (and loved!) and hadn’t been back to since then. I just love the place and the building and the whole environment.
Snapped a pic, couldn’t resist. The weather was so sketchy all day long. It was sunny and raining on my way down to the lake…then just as quickly stopped…then started. It was like that on and off all afternoon!
The place was crowded when I got there which I fully anticipated. The line was huge, but I was just really happy to be there. For so long I wanted to just go and take myself out somewhere…do something on my own, by myself, for myself. I brought some reading material with me and planned to just sit and read and drink my coffee. To me, that is just pure bliss.
Guys, it’s time for a confession. I am a HUGE National Geographic magazine fan. HUGE. I also found the National Geographic Traveler magazine, too, which is also really awesome. There is something about the NG magazine that i just love. I love the photography. I love how the photography is so raw and real. You can see some pretty disturbing photos in the magazine. While I don’t like the goriness of it, I love the truth in it. They don’t doctor up the photos to be all beauty. They show reality, whether it be ugly or beautiful. Plus, I love the articles in there. They shed light on so many interesting topics from across the world that I would never know anything about. It is by far one of my favorite magazines. Oftentimes I get so distracted with other things when I’m at home, that I never take the time to read them…so taking myself out of the house was just what I needed to take the time to read some really interesting articles. I could have stayed there hours upon hours just reading…
But, I eventually got myself packed up and hit the road on to my next destinations. I stopped at Whole Foods while I was down near the lake, since there is one just a few minutes from where I was. I snagged some sushi and some seasonal Clif Bar flavors. I also stopped at the mall on my way home and got some seasonal scented goodies at Bath and Body Works! 🙂
Saturday was JUST what I needed. I had the absolute best day with myself and for myself. That evening I went over by my parents for (you guessed it) a couple episodes of NYPD Blue and just came home and snuggled with my Dex on the couch. It was the most satisfying day I’ve had in a while.
5) Feel-good purchases. I took myself shopping Saturday evening and Sunday morning to get some needed clothes for fall. Shopping is something that I always do alone and it’s just ‘me’ time for me. I found some super cute clothes (including some real adorable sweaters…these I needed BADLY) I love me some warm cozy sweaters. 🙂
The rest of my weekend was super chill and relaxed. I did some arranging of my closets which was much needed. Watched some football. Made some cookies. Just a real laid back weekend. I hope you all had a wonderful re-charging weekend. Happy Monday!